So JD and I went to the hospital last night to see what the consultant had to say. And it wasn’t the good news we were hoping for. On the MRI scan they did a month after her seizure, there was still a black area of ‘abnormal’ brain size. They do not know what it is. It might be scar tissue from the bump on her head, it might be something else. If it was just swelling from the bruising, it should have gone away by now. But it hasn’t.
So she was giving three options: Monitor the area by having a brain scan every 2 months and see if it is a slow growing tumour. Alternatively they can do a biopsy, take some tissue from the brain and see what it is. Or she could go for the Full Monty and have brain surgery to remove it right away.
Great news on a Friday night. Our short holiday to Holland is not happening this weekend because we chose to go for the biopsy. We went home and had a bit of a sniffling session.
Today we are supposed to be at the hospital at 12.30 to see the consultant again. They will try to find her a bed and if they can, they will do the biopsy this weekend. If they can not find her a bed, they will do the biopsy when the doctor comes back from holiday in 2 weeks time. On the positive side, we are aware of the fact that it can not all be too urgent. After all, one of the suggestions was to wait and have a scan every so many months to monitor the thing. Apparently the doctor just wants to get it out of the way before his holiday. Fine by us.
Bugger. Brain + swelling + surgery = death. Well, at least in your mind it is the first thing that you think about.
I know I should write a deep and meaningful, poetic kind of insightful blog about this. But quite frankly, it simply sucks. Poking with a needle in the brain of your girlfriend to see if her brain is seriously wrong or not…..
I am however, hopeful. I am more afraid of the actual biopsy than of the result.
Please send positive thoughts to JD if you can spare a minute.